Welcome to Forrest City
- Uplifting our community – A Community Inspiration Day was held Wednesday, September 22, from 7 a.m. until 9 a.m. The event was spearheaded by Arkansas Running Man Nate Thomas, a veteran. Businesses, churches, and […]
- New Pharmacy Ribbon Cutting – A ribbon cutting was held Friday, September 24, to welcome St. Francis Discount Pharmacy to our great community. They are a full service retail pharmacy offering vaccinations, flu/strep testing, covid […]
- HUNDREDS TURN OUT FOR CITY JOB FAIR – Hundreds of Forrest City residents, and our friends from neighboring communities, attended our city job fair Friday, September 24. It was held at the Civic Center from 10:00 a.m. until […]
- Satisfaction Survey – How are we doing?
FORREST CITY AND SCENIC HILL SOLAR COMPLETE TWO SOLAR POWER PLANTS
The City of Forrest City and Scenic Hill Solar have completed construction of two solar power plant sites in Forrest City in December. The public private partnership to provide electricity to the city was first announced a year ago in December, 2019. The two solar power plants total 2.6 MW DC of capacity, large enough to produce approximately 74 percent of the electricity for Forrest City government and municipal operations in both Woodruff Electric Cooperative and Entergy Arkansas service territories. A third power plant will be constructed in 2021 to generate the remainder of the City’s electricity following Arkansas Public Service Commission approval. A public ribbon-cutting and dedication ceremony will be announced in the coming months as weather permits.
“We’re very proud to have completed construction on this cutting-edge venture for Our Forrest City and the entire community, stated Mayor Cedric Williams. The generation of electricity by these power plants is a tangible example of our efforts to invest in sustainable growth opportunities for our future. The fact that this occurred in the most challenging year in memory is further demonstration of our resolve. Combined with our energy saving measures implemented earlier this year, we have become more efficient with our citizens’ tax dollars, and we will continue this progress in 2021. We are excited to put renewable energy to work in Forrest City and to transform the way we power our community.”
“We are delighted by what our partnership with Forrest City achieved in 2020. These two solar power plants will provide a majority of the electricity for Forrest City’s governmental operations. After approval by the Arkansas Public Service Commission, our partnership will continue in 2021 and a third solar power plant will be built and bring Forrest City to 100 percent clean electricity for its government operations” said Bill Halter, CEO of Scenic Hill Solar. “We commend Mayor Cedric Williams and the City Council of Forrest City for their vision for a cleaner and brighter future especially after being hit hard by the Covid-19 pandemic. We believe this historic accomplishment makes Forrest City the first municipality in Arkansas to accomplish commercial operation of solar power plants in two utility service territories. We look forward to dedicating these two power plants alongside the Mayor, the Council, and the Forrest City Community in early 2021.”
Two solar power plants totaling 2.6 MW will:
- Produce over 4,420,000 kWh of electricity in the first year of operation and over 74,739,402 kWh of electricity over the next 30 years.
- Produce enough clean electricity to satisfy 74 percent of Forrest City governmental operations’ electricity consumption
- Contain over 6500 solar modules
- Utilize two ground-mounted single-axis tracking solar systems
- Reduce carbon emissions by over 52,844 metric tons which is the equivalent of: driving over 131 million fewer passenger car miles or eliminating the burning of over 58 million pounds of coal or providing over 8,947 homes electricity for one year.
About the City of Forrest City:
Forrest City which was incorporated in 1870, is situated atop the beautiful geological formation of Crowley’s Ridge. Located on busy Interstate 40, Forrest City lies 92 miles east of Arkansas’ state capitol, Little Rock, and 45 miles west of the mighty Mississippi River and Memphis, Tennessee, the distribution center of the South. The city is affectionally known as the “Jewel of the Delta.”
About Scenic Hill Solar: Scenic Hill Solar provides commercial, industrial, government, and utility clients clean electricity, reduced energy prices and long-term electricity price certainty by developing client specific solar energy plants. Scenic Hill Solar provides clients either lower priced electricity under contract or turnkey delivery of solar power plants, depending on our clients’ specific needs. Scenic Hill Solar Headquarters are in Little Rock, AR.
225 N. Washington Street
Forrest City, AR 72335
Phone: (870) 633-1315
CITY SHOP/PUBLIC WORKS
Non-Emergency: (870) 261-1418
Roy Hamilton (870) 261-2035
Darin Flenoy (870) 261-3151
Emergency: (870) 633-1571
Non-Emergency: (870) 633-2921
Non-Emergency: (870) 633-3434
Emergency: (870) 633-1533
Non-Emergency: (870) 633-2414